We can all agree that December is one of the most joyous times of the year; filled with lot’s of delicious food, amazing holidays and quality time with the family.
Even work starts to wind down at this time, and for the majority, the shut down period begins. However, before everyone heads off to holiday it up in the sun, most workplaces treat their staff to a Christmas Party.
Christmas parties are a great way to celebrate the year that was with all the managers and co-workers.
Drinks, music and dancing with colleagues…….
What could go wrong?
Well, being a HR team we realise that a lot of mishaps can take place at a Christmas Party. So, we have put together the following list of all Christmas Work Party don’ts, just as a friendly reminder for you and your team!
1) Don’t drink too much: one of the most common mishaps at work Christmas parties is when employees drink too much. The free bar can be very tempting, however, it is important to know your alcohol consumption limits and remember this is a work party. Alcohol-fuelled actions can be very detrimental to employment. According to a blinkbox poll, completed in 2015, 20% of staff admitted to kissing a colleague when intoxicated.
2) Don’t gossip: joining in on the office gossip is never a smart idea. It is great to prepare with small talk topics to avoid bad mouthing (topic examples: family, children or upcoming holidays).
3) Don’t dress inappropriately: this isn’t an occasion to test out your latest clubbing attire!
4) Don’t be a no show: this is the companies time to thank you all for your hard work during the year. Be polite and show your gratitude by attending.
5) Don’t leave too early: stay for a reasonable amount of time. If socialising in this way isn’t your thing, stick to the rule “wait until someone else leaves” (don’t leave after the first hour).
But, DO enjoy yourself!
This is a fun time of the year where you deserve to celebrate all your hard work. So follow these easy steps above, then have a boogie, eat amazing food, enjoy your colleagues company and have a Merry Christmas!
Note: If by chance there is a little slip up at your party, it is best to address this with all parties concerned ASAP. Here at wattsnext we have a team of professionals that are able to conduct meetings to address any issues that may arise, and they are able to do this in an appropriate and professional manner.
Photo by Yutacar
Previous blog How to get your Mojo Back!
See all blog here
If you have any questions about this blog or any other matter, please contact our friendly team